What are examples of Emotional Abuse?
- Being called names by your abuser
- Using words to shame you or put you down in front of others
- Yelling, swearing and screaming
- Using threats to intimidate you
- You abuser may blame you for his or her loss of control
- Your feelings are dismissed (Ex. Refusing to discuss things that are important to you)
- You often wonder why you feel so bad (Ex. You feel depressed and sometimes think that you are crazy)
- Manipulating your actions. The persistence and intense use of threatening words to get you to do something you do not want to do
How do I get help?
It is important to know that it is not your fault and there are people out there who can help you. Check the State and Local Programs page at WomensLaw.org to find organizations new you who provide counseling services.