Emotional Abuse, also called Psychological Abuse, is characterized by one person subjecting another person to behavior which is psychologically harmful. This behavior is intended to threaten, humiliate or de-grade someone for the purposes of control. Victims of emotional abuse may feel depressed, anxious, insecure and worthless.
What does Emotional Abuse look like?
- Being called names by your partner.
- Using words to shame
- Critical, sarcastic, mocking words meant to put you down either alone or in front of other people.
- Yelling, swearing and screaming.
- Using threats to intimidate.
- Your abuser may blame you for his/her loss of control.
- Your feelings are dismissed. (Ex. Refusing to discuss issues that upset you.)
- You often wonder why you feel so bad. (Ex. You feel depressed and have even wondered if you are crazy.)